10 Essential tips for new mumsMay 14, 2014 by Penny Cook
1. Maximise your time so while youâ€™re breast feeding, practice your pelvic floor exercises at the same time.
2. Housework â€“ only do the essentials and when you do, see it as a chance to exercise at the same time. Put on your favourite music and dance while you work!
3. Meal swap â€“ speak to a friend with a baby of a similar age to yours and set up a weekly meal swap. Make double of your chosen family meal and swap half of it for half of your friendâ€™s meal.
4. Need a quick baby meal and run out of little food pouches? Mash up a ripe avocado or banana â€“ a perfect baby â€˜ready mealâ€™!Â More recipes.
5. Next time you make a vegetable soup for your and your partner, add less water (instead of stock) and purÃ©e a little of the cooked vegetables for your baby, then add more liquid to make it into soup for you.
Out and about
6. Keep a small toy in your handbag at all times, essential for those occasions when you need to distract â€“ such as at a doctors surgery or the supermarket.
7. Parent and toddler group â€“ find a good group near you where you can meet and chat with other mums, you will be amazed at how useful it is to share stories and ideas.
Tricks of the trade
Â 8. Help your baby settle at night by putting a hot water bottle in his moses basket to warm it while you feed him. Once heâ€™s ready to go down, take the bottle out of the basket and he will stay snug.
Â 9. Breast milk can heal wounds. If you are breastfeeding and your baby has weepy eyes, or a scratch on his skin, apply a little breastmilk. It is a fantastic, natural healer.
10. You can never have too many muslin squares around the house. Also be sure to keep tissues in every room to mop up spillages.
More babyÂ tips andÂ advice